Monday, March 3, 2008

big ego or just cheap?


I cant stand to pay money for something I can do myself! I say this as I wait for my d.i.y. dye job to dry. Am I cheap, or do I just think I can do it better? I think it is 75% ego. I love the satisfaction of knowing (and bragging) that "I did it myself!" I cut my kids' hair, I dye my own hair, I paint my own paintings, do my own floral arrangements, sew my own curtains, make my own homecoming mums (my N.O. peeps wont understand this one)....I first see it as a challenge! Anyone who has ever been shopping with me can testify to the fact that I always say.."I can do that!" and then try it.

The other 25% is definitly that I am cheap. Why pay $50-$80 to get my hair colored when I can do it for $13.99??? Why pay a tailor to hem pants, when I can do it for free? Most people pay for the time that they save....well I have way more time than money.


I always said I wanted to be rich enough to hire people to do things for me...however, there is very little satisfaction in that. Aren't you more impressed if someone did it themselves, than if they hired someone to do it for them?
Maybe its insecurity or maybe it is ego....but I love the feeling I get when someone compliments one of my d.i.y. creations...I do know that it is validation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!
Let's do lunch soon.