Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I learned how to blow







I meant blow glass...perverts!


My adorable hubby gave me the most wonderful Mother's Day present....he bought me glass blowing lessons! How cool is that!


It was a 2 day class in New Caney, which is just north of BFE... (bum f#%! egypt) But the hour drive was way worth it!


I learned how to melt glass, sculpt glass, spin glass and blow glass. What an amazing feeling of accomplishment!



I have a new found appreciation for the work that goes into a seemingly simple looking vase. It is hard work and definitely NOT for the WIMPY. First of all, it is REALLY hot! Imagine Kate Capshaw in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" when she is dangling in the fiery pit, just inches away from molten hot lava!

That is what it felt like getting a gather on my puntie. (putting melted glass on my stick thingy)

You also have to be able to walk and chew gum..pat your head and rub your tummy...constantly rotate your puntie to keep the glass centered while you blow ( twirl the stick thingy so the blob of glass doesn't fall off one side).


But I think the biggest obstacle was the difference of creative opinion between me and the instructor. He was very traditional, a bowl needed to look like a bowl! I, on the other hand, prefer the more abstract and free form designs. I wanted the glass to guide me ... he needs to guide the glass. We really came to a disagreement during my final piece! I wanted to make a "bowl" but I wanted it to be very artistic...he wanted just a bowl. So...he is helping me with a difficult maneuver and my piece fell off the stick thingy as it was coming out of the fire! It hit the ground, but didn't break. Since it was still soft, it flattened out and got misshaped where it hit the equipment. I started shrieking, "Get It! Get It!" and he just stood there! He told me it was trash now. WHAT! Now its really cool! Now it has character, now it has a story! SO, I had to beg him to pick it up and save it! So he did... but he still wasn't happy. He told me he was going to make me a bowl that was good! He didn't want people seeing my piece and thinking that it was representative of what he did. Whatever! I love my piece!! and I am sure that everyone that knows me will love it too!




No comments: